Dream-Worlds Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lifestyles and Pastimes > Publishing the DreamWorlds > Book Review Central
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Book Review Central - tell us about it!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Book Review Central - tell us about it!
    Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 9:59pm
Book Review Central

Just clarifying how this can work - there'll be no hard and fast rules and people can use the forum as it suits, but we're just starting in earnest so let's be practical and have some guidelines.
  • you could use it to showcase your own reviews and start a thread with commentary for several different works and/or authors.
  • authors can post for ARC reviews, or request reviews of existing work, or for beta reader comments for works in progress
  • offer to do a review swap with another author for your latest work
  • you can republish your own reviews for specific books that are on Amazon or wherever - or other people's reviews if you have their permission (make sure you state this clearly if the piece is not yours please!)
... or something I can't think of just now. So long as it's your commentary to give then post away on your top-rated read - or not... Be polite but be honest please! Wink
The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one
will do ~ Thomas Jefferson
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 10:30am
That's all great Jano, I certainly have things I can republish here, and the librarian in me loves to TELL PEOPLE ABOUT BOOKS!!!!! joke  Maybe later I can write some new stuff, when my brain comes back.
Death comes to all
But great achievements raise a monument
Which shall endure until the sun grows cold.
- George Fabricius, 'In Praise of Georgius Agricola'
angel7090695001 View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote angel7090695001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 10:07am
Please review my tale of intrigue about fairies with special powers.

The All Gifted Fairies
Read at many e-book retailers at louisefindlaybooks.wordpress.com/the-all-gifted-fairies
Louise Findlay
Fantasy Author & Poet
Twitter: @authorlouise
Exclusive Tales: patreon.com/authorlouise
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Saranna

That's all great Jano, I certainly have things I can republish here, and the librarian in me loves to TELL PEOPLE ABOUT BOOKS!!!!! joke  Maybe later I can write some new stuff, when my brain comes back.

Discussed some books today in the shop. Only whether the films were better or worse than the written word , but it was fun. Good way to sell books too!  

Brilliant emoticon Saranna! Can we have it on our emoticons, please Jano, pretty please?
Blod skal være min endelige prisen!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 10:51pm
oi Dagger! That's already on! LOL It's near the end of the catalog though - No 99 in fact! joke

It's next door to this one - lurk beneath this one - PC- abuse and above that one - out cold

Hi there Angel - have had a swift look at your story and as it's still a work in progress will leave some feedback/review for you on Smashwords and Goodreads Smile If you'd like someone to do some beta-reading when you write some more episodes then feel free to open a topic in the Word Smithy forum and get some feedback as you go Wink
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 1:52pm
I have to shrink things really small and then I can't get to see all of them! Sob!
Blod skal være min endelige prisen!
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 4:15pm
This is not the first review 'Perian's Journey' has had but it's certainly the best so far!

Sue Bridgwater and Alistair McGechie.  Perian’s Journey. 2nd ed. Eluth Publishing, 2014. 160pp. $14.99. Reviewed by Shiloh Carroll. (Mythprint, June 2015)

In the style and tradition of fairy tales, Arthuriana, and mythopoeic fantasy, Perian’s Journey tells the story of a boy growing to manhood and confronting his choices. The tale begins with Perian’s uncles, who, after an encounter with a wizard, plant two seeds, one in the valley and one on a high mountaintop. While the one in the valley grows into a lovely tree that gives satisfying fruit, the one on the mountain becomes a flower of breathtaking beauty, but it is covered by thorns. Perian’s first journey is a quest to remove the thorns and allow the flower to shine forth unhindered.

That accomplished, Perian decides to go forth to seek his fortune, and finds himself swept into a quest to rescue the king’s daughter, who has been kidnapped by an evil sorceress. When he succeeds, he of course marries the princess and becomes king, but forgets his roots (so to speak), and does not continue to eat the fruit his mother sends him yearly or go to visit the flower on the mountaintop. When the princess (now queen) dies, he refuses to bond with his daughter, blaming her for her mother’s death, and spends most of the rest of his life obsessed with making the queen’s grave as beautiful as possible, to the detriment of the rest of the kingdom. Not until the princess marries does he realize that he has lost his way, and set out on his final journey.

Perian’s Journey fits neatly into a tradition of myth and fantasy, with echoes from Arthurian legend, fairy tale, and Tolkien-era fantasy that allude to its precursors without ever falling prey to cliché or outright imitation. Bridgwater’s choice to start the story with the adventure’s of Perian’s uncles hearkens to Arthurian romances such as “Cliges,” in which the foundations for the lives of the heroes and heroines are laid in the previous generations. Likewise, Perian’s rise from peasant boy to king’s companion (disguised as a knight in the king’s armor) to king himself is a familiar journey, as is the quest to rescue the princess. Yet the story does not end with happily-ever-after, which is part of Perian’s problem later in life; “When I became Alauda’s consort, I forgot that there was more to do,” he says. “I thought it was the end of a story, and so it was. But it was the beginning of another.” When his daughter requests permission to wed and Perian demands her suitor face a nearly impossible task first, the echoes of “Donkeyskin” were so strong I half-expected that the earlier story would be a set-up to a retelling of “Donkeyskin” from the king’s point of view (thankfully, it was not).

Perian’s final journey uses the trope of an ocean voyage as death, echoing such works as C.S. Lewis’ Voyage of the Dawn Treader, specifically Reepicheep’s final journey to Aslan’s Country. As Perian travels, he loses his companions and ultimately his ship, rowing the last stretch to the farthest island, where he again meets his mother, his wife, and the sorceress, who all chastise him for how he has lived his adult life and treated his daughter. Perian does not get off lightly for his failings, nor does he try to excuse himself, but only apologizes for his shortcomings.

Even the language is carefully constructed to mirror style that Sir Walter Scott referred to as “elevated,” which he argued was necessary for fantastic writing to prevent the story from being flat and tedious. The style is reminiscent of Lewis, a bit more intimate than Tolkien but still higher and more formal than, for example, George R.R. Martin. While occasionally that style falters, overall the writing is careful and lovely. Perian’s Journey is appropriate for young children as well as adults, and well worth reading.

Death comes to all
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 6:01pm
Clap Well done m'dears - that's a lovely boost for Perian YahMon
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 9:38am
boing!
Death comes to all
 Post Reply Post Reply