Dream-Worlds Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lifestyles and Pastimes > Publishing the DreamWorlds > Book Review Central
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Dreamers ~ Ted Farrar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dreamers ~ Ted Farrar
    Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 9:20pm
This is Ted's first novel and it's a belter! Normally I pass on police procedure/murder mysteries but the fantasy element in this is not only irresistible, but also highly original, pacey and absorbing - one of those can't it put down books that you don't want to end... Here's the review anyway -

Nightmares Rock...

... if you're an adept at dreaming. I loved this inventive, jazzy, street-smart fantasy horror so much I stayed up until the not so wee small hours to finish devouring it - and my tablet died at the beginning of the culminating chapter, though thankfully after the definitive climax where the not so helpless heroine is put beyond the malevolent clutches of the main antagonist.

I will have a hard enough job doing this review without committing major spoilers so let's get nebulous - imagine a season of Buffy penned by Clive Barker? Or if PD James had preferred writing gothic horror? Or Jackie Collins had thought of interviewing vampires, instead of idly studying Hollywood and mobsters? Set mostly in the 1980's where cigarettes are still smoked everywhere and there's no alternative to landlines, the setting around and in Leeds has the ring of truth and a gritty authenticity to underlay the frankly stunning and original fantasy elements, where dreams are most certainly real and, if you die in your sleep, your mind is condemned to gurgling zombiedom, always supposing that your body had not already been murdered by one of your fellow Dreamers... The four central characters, Cole, Anemos, Bright and Greenspite, two living, one murdered and the other very much at death's door, lead the Leeds police force, and in particular DI Gumbold, in a grisly, but frequently comedic danse macabre as twenty leading sleep clinic subjects and their researchers are systematically hunted down by a serial killer with gut-curdling supernatural powers and a viciously audacious masterplan to obliviate the nightmarish Land of Sheol - and to invade heaven itself.

If you appreciate dark fantasy, black comedy and pushing your imagination to rollercoaster heights and troughs then please, please do yourself a real favour and read this rarity - a truly original and funky Tale of the Unexpected. Oh - and forget the vampires. They were just a motif on which to hang the rhetoric. There are none. There are slayers and plenty of literal and metaphoric demons though.

The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one
will do ~ Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply